In the ancient methods of healing, the human system is viewed as a multi-dimensional system, beyond the physical state, a powerful life force fuels an individual. This is known in a different culture as Prana, Chi, Ki. Holistic therapy is a type of healing that appraised the whole system- body, mind, spirit, and emotions, in the pursuit of optimal health and wellness. According to the holistic therapy philosophy, optimal fitness could be achieved by gaining the proper balance in life.
According to the research, it is believed that the whole system works as an interdependent part, and if any one of the parts does not work correctly, all the other parts will be affected. Means, any of the imbalance in life, like physical, spiritual, and emotional, can negatively affect the overall health.
How Can Holistic Therapies Help?
Holistic therapy is considered a no-medicinal treatment that is used to supplement traditional treatment practices. It brings and aims at aligning mind, body, and spirit. Treatment centers that offer holistic therapy use exercise, medication, and nutrition to overcome addiction.
Strategies of Holistic Therapy may include:
• Yoga and meditation
• Guided meditation
• Massage Therapy
• Spiritual Therapy
• Art Therapy
• Tai Chi
• Routine exercise
• Proper nutrition
In recovering from medication, Holistic Therapy program features personalized and non-medical methods. This therapy is used to treat physical and mental symptoms as well as nutritional and emotional imbalances. Holistic therapy plans are quite pliable and flexible and cater to the needs of an individual. All potential obstacles like lack of sleep, poor diet, and emotional stress might help in recovering addict.
Some of the main goals of holistic therapy include:
• Identifying all the causes of addiction
• Help in strengthening resistance to craving
• Physical fitness promotion
• Increase in self-confidence
• Reducing the appeal of alcohol and drug abuse
Types of Holistic Addiction Therapies
From exercise to meditation, Holistic therapy also encompasses several other aspects of healthy living. Some of the primary technique and treatments included are:
• Nutritional and healthful therapy- In addiction recovery, a healthy body is a crucial aspect. An individual is helped in focusing on proper nutrition on providing substantial healing. To overcome addiction, recovering addicts can start fresh and provide adequate nutrition to their body.
• Exercise and Recreational Therapy- To strengthen the body and in relieving the stress, daily exercise help by building a routine. Exercise is one of the central and essential parts of the many holistic treatments. It could vary from center to centers like some offer rock climbing, horseback riding or hiking and canoeing.
• Meditation and Yoga- One of the most important to recover from addiction is to have a clear mind. In holistic treatment, Guided meditation is an integral part of meditation. Some centers also offer yoga and Tai Chi as meditative practices to increase focus and clarity of mind.
• Massage and Acupuncture- To relax the body and help in relieving stress, massage is frequently used as a holistic approach. After extended substance use, Acupuncture is also used to balance an addict’s body.
The traditional addiction treatment programs play as a more effective holistic recovery program. While recovering from alcohol and central nervous system, depressants frequently require medical supervision.
Some of the standard techniques which are paired with holistic methods include:
• Medically supervised detoxification
• Thorough and comprehensive medical care
• One-on-one counseling regarding mental health
Some of the emotional support programs provided by Narcotics Anonymous and Alcoholics Anonymous provides for 12-step groups.
Holistic Medicine: Where to Find a Holistic Provider
Comprehensive providers include medical doctors, naturopathic doctors, chiropractors, osteopathy doctors, and homeopathic doctors. One should visit the American Holistic Medical Association website to find a holistic practitioner in your area.
Some of the tips while choosing a holistic provider:
• Do not just go to anyone to get holistic treatment- Before selecting a holistic doctor, get a recommendation from someone you trust.
• Need to do homework before getting treatment- Find as much as you can about a doctor’s training, experience, and specialty.
• How do you feel before getting treatment- An individual should consider the facts of how a person makes you think or at ease before joining any program.
• Treatment options- Make sure the doctor and practitioner examine all lifestyle factors, along with the therapeutic factors that contribute to your illness.
The philosophy that works behind holistic therapy is that it helps in finding and maintaining balance in all aspects of life. Combined with medically examined or supervised detox and mental health counseling, holistic therapies help treat addictions of all severity levels.