Now a day, drug addiction is one of the major menaces to society. It is a complex illness characterized by intense and, at times, uncontrolled craving along with compulsive drug seeking that even persist in the face of the devastating consequences. The path to drug addiction starts to a voluntary act of taking the drug and over the time it becomes hard to get rid of this habit and seeking and consuming the drug becomes compulsive. This behavior results in prolonged brain decease and it affects the brain functioning in a proper way. Because drug abuse and addiction affect so many aspects of the individual’s life and treatment is not so easy. The effective treatment takes a lot of time and gradual and procedural approach. Each treatment is directed towards a particular illness and its consequences.
Drug addiction treatment must help the individual to live a happy life and not be addicted to it again. So that a person could achieve a drug-free lifestyle and would be able to function properly in the family, at work, and in the society. According to the survey of the SAMHSA’s National survey of drug use and health, 23.2 million people (9.4 percent of the US population) aged 12 or older need drug addiction treatment or alcohol problem. Of these, only 2.4 million people had got the treatment at a special facility and rest had not got the treatment.
Principles of effective drug addiction treatment:
Scientific research shows that drug addiction treatment helps patients addicted to drugs. The treatment helps a person, stop using and avoid relapse and successfully live a happy life. Based on the research some of the drug addiction treatment principles have emerged:
- Drug addiction is a complex but treatable decease that affects brain functioning and behavior.
- No single treatment is suitable for all and it needs to be readily available.
- Effective treatment attends to multiple needs of the individual and to remain in the treatment for a long time is critical.
- Counseling of individual and behavioral therapies is the most commonly used drug addiction treatment. And Medications are the most important treatment for many patients if it is added to the counseling and therapies.
- Medication treatment is the first step in the drug addiction treatment and besides this consumption of the drug must be monitored properly.
Effective Treatment Approaches:
Medication and behavioral therapy when combined, become more effective and most important therapy. It often begins with detoxification, followed by treatment and relapse prevention.
It can be used to help with the different aspects of the treatment processes.
Withdrawal– Medications often help in suppressing the withdrawal symptom during detoxification.
Treatment– Medications can be used to help in improving brain functions and to prevent relapse and diminish craving.
This treatment helps the patient in their attitude towards life and behavior related to drug use. It helps in engaging the patient with the treatment. It also helps in behavior related to drug abuse and a healthy lifestyle. Treatment for drug abuse can be done by different approaches.
- Outpatient Behavioral Treatment- This treatment includes many approaches for the people who often visit the clinics.
- Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment- It helps the patients to recognize, avoid and cope with the situations in which they are most likely to drug abuse.
- Multidimensional Family Therapy- It was developed for the adolescent with drug abuse problems and for the families as well.
- Motivational Interviews- It helps an individual on the readiness of the changing behavior and treatment.
- Motivational Incentives- It enforces the positive reinforcement to encourage abstinence from drug abuse.